Tuesday, April 17, 2012

superhero t-shirt cape

For the Superhero activity the kids were instructed to come dressed as their favourite superhero. Maribel doesn't have any superhero dress up stuff so I went web surfing and found this uber easy tutorial on how to make a super cape from an old t-shirt. If you don't have a sewing machine don't worry, this one is no sewing necessary.
I already had tee that I picked up from a thrift store months ago and all I had to do was snip and sew on the lightning bolt and mask. I also hemmed the edges for a cleaner look but it's not necessary. You don't have to but my snipping skills (or lack there of) were showing and I wanted clean edges.

When she was asked which superhero she was she would tell them that she was Superman and Supergirl's kid.
The mask I just used a leftover Pin The Bow On Hello Kitty blindfold from her birthday party (that we forgot to play-oops) as the template and just sewed the two pieces of felt together. But I cut out the eyes of the top colour first becuase I wanted the bottom colour to show through. I reused the elastic from the blindfold since it was already measured out. Hey, it's just one less step.
This is her trying to smile after crying. I guess this super girl's weakness is shrub thorns. Poor thing, her legs got all scratched up playing in the bushes or the "woods" as she calls it but still had a smile for me...well, sort of. Okay, now I just want to go and give her another hug...and poke her dimple. ^.^
I can't help but recall the line from The Incredibles where Edna says, "No capes. Do you remember Thunderhead?"

I also created a movie for this activity. You can check it out here if you haven't seen it yet. It was a high budget film *sniff* totally.

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

That's the cutest superhero cape ever along with the most adorable little red haired super girl with the amazing dimples. Let me guess...her super power is making her mommy and everyone around her smile! :D