Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Confucius says...

...it's time for some good fortune!!!

I was enjoying some precious alone time in my favourite Barnes and Noble hide out when I stumbled across a craft suggestion for some felted fortune cookies. Since I couldn't justify spending $17.99 on a magazine I thought I would commit the project to memory. Ha! I have a memory of a gold fish. It's only good for 5 minutes then I get distracted by something shiny and it's all downhill from there.

Soooooooo I made some felt ones from memory and remembered that in the magazine they used snaps to keep it closed in the center. I tried that and the result was less then satisfactory, hence the facial expression. Poor little guys.
Then I had an A-HA moment and thought that I could crochet some Amigurumi style. My first one looked super cute but a little smooshed then I switched from worsted weight yarn to cotton but couldn't find any tan coloured cotton so I went with white. According my wonderful sister she says they look like pierogies. Great. Now I'm craving Pierogies.

After a few more prototypes I think I finally got it right. I love how kawaii they look. And since I can't keep cuteness to myself I jotted down the pattern I made up in my noggin to share with my awesome blog readers.
**Please note that this is my first ever pattern and if there are any mistakes just let me know and I'll correct them. I tried. That's what counts right?

Materials:
Terms:
Ch=chain
Sc= single crochet
Sctog= single crochet together
Slst= slip stitch

Work in continuous rounds unless otherwise stated. Mark your ending stitch with a paperclip or stitch marker to keep your place.

The Circle:
Make starter loop and ch 2
Crochet 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook (6)
2 sc in each sc (12)
*Sc in the next sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat * all around (18)
*sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat * (24)
*sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat * (30)
*sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc* repeat * (36)
*sc in next 5 sc, 2 in next sc* repeat * (40)
chain 1 
Find where you would like to add your little face and using either safety eyes or embroidery thread, stitch on your little face. Please keep in mind that you will be folding the circle in half. I placed my eyes approx 2 stitches apart near the last two rounds.
Next fold the circle in half and poke the center part of the semi circle with your finger while pulling the sides down and together.
Sctog across the top seam for 14sc stopping about 6 sc's from the end leaving a small opening at the end to tuck your little fortune inside.
Continue to sc along the top side for 4 sc (not crocheting together for these stitches) then Sctog 1 sc, Slst and fasten off leaving approx 6 inch long tail for stitching the center together. I added extra photos of this part in hopes that it would make sense.
Using the long tail sew a few stitches in the center to keep the shape. Insert your little fortune and you are done.

Of course you can adjust this pattern to make a larger cookie by continuing with the pattern of increasing the stitches every round until you have it as large as you want. The size will also vary with different sized hooks and the yarn you use. If you use a smaller hook, your little cookie guy will be smaller too and vice verse.

  Aww so kawaii!
Have fun making your little crocheted fortune cookie guys and please please pleeease share your finished projects with me so I can leave you some love.
Happy hooking!

>^..^<

6 comments:

Lisa and DJ said...

The only thing that's familiar to me on your supply list is scissors, SOOOOO.... I certainly won't be making any of my own, but I LOVE yours!!

April C said...

Very cute!! If only I knew how to crochet or had the time to take up another hobby. I still have a cross-stitch laying around somewhere half done and I think I started it about 3 years ago..lol.

PamelaM said...

If I could crochet, I would so be on these.

Your tutorial rocks.

I hope all the fortunes you put in come true for you.

JennC said...

Oh Pam and April, I would love to have the chance to teach you personally. Crocheting is super relaxing and I have heard from several sources that it keeps your brain smart. I know I can use all the help I can get in that dept. LOL
Lisa hunny, I'll make you some xo

Suzanne said...

I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Mindy said...

I love this!! I can't wait to make some. I've only done a few amigurumi animals so far (and I'm not *entirely* sure I've done those right!), but it's fun. You can see them at http://im-in-the-loop.blogspot.com/ I'll be posting the elephant pictures as soon as I can figure out a way to get them off my old phone! ;-)